Intengible

Just a glance

Friday, April 22, 2005

Ooops

I rocked up to work yesterday morning feeling real excited. Finally, I was getting to witness and perform some "real" work experience. Not complaining that my work so far has been dull, but doing logic programming isn't all that fancy. Because we had to do some work on the overhead crane, we were required to wear safety harness. One of the engineers asked me if I had worn a harness before.

"I've worn a flying fox harness. Does that count?". Damn! I should have given it more thought before spitting my unintelligient answers. As expected, I didn't know where and how to tighten the straps. The guys had to help the damsel in distress to put it on. Moving on, we walked up the crane and started doing some testings on the panels. You cannot imagine how much dirt/grime/dust/eeeky yucky stuff is up there. No one ever cleans these machines and how would they? These machines operate 24/7 and once you stop it for any maintenance, it costs the company hundreds and thousands of big bucks. Not feasible. Hence, I had the pleasure of walking on inches of dirt. How exciting.

I came back later in the arvo to supervise (by myself) another mounting near the crane. Speaking like as if I knew what was happening, I instructed the contractors where to mount the reflectors according to the design. Unfortunately, we realised that there was only an inch clearance between those reflectors and the crane. I was a bit concern but was assured that the crane may just miss it. How wrong! By the time I reported the available clearance to the design engineer, the crane had already hit the new reflectors within the hour. Lucky for us the brackets did not fall on anyone working below, otherwise we would be in deep trouble. I was assured by my colleague that I should be alright because I wasn't the design engineer. But still, the cloud of darkness continues to loom over me, especially when the last day of my probation period is TODAY.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home