Intengible

Just a glance

Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Canberra

I was reluctant to go to Canberra, having heard of boring stories of a dead city. After some persistent invitation, I gave it a go. Heck, why not, someone else is in the driver seat. I will not volunteer to be a substitute driver, because driving is not my passion.

I suppose I also don't want to end up not having visited Canberra properly. A stopover for a Thai dinner last year after skiing at Perisher Blue does not count as having visited Canberra.

First Stop: Canberra Saturday Market
The Saturday market turned out to be a pure meat and vege market. None of those souvenirs or cultural items to see, unlike Victoria Market. We ended up going to the dog show which was happening on the other side of the field. This was the best accidental stop...with nicely groomed collies, adorable pugs, mischevous jack russells, and a sad husky wailing out loud because its cage was too small to contain its size.


Richard-Gere-look-alike collie


Second Stop: National Museum of Australia
I was surprised to find that this attraction won the recent Aussie Tourism Award. Visiting museums was always a no-go for me. But history was made fun by its rotating theatres, arty ornaments, special effects paintings, and interesting facades. If it wasn't for our growling tummies, my friend's dad would have read every single piece of history in that building!


The striking facade in front of the museum


Third Stop: Lunch at Garema Street
Pure luck was on my side as I frantically tried to contact Kat over Friendster the day before I left for ACT. She woke me up from my already deprived sleep in the car around 8am. Waking up at 6am that morning was a big struggle. Strange girl! I would have happily slept in than checking Friendster early Saturday morning! But it was so good to meet her since she last visited me in Melbourne 3 years ago, and to learn that she's married. =)


Italian for lunch


Fourth Stop: Telstra Observation Deck
Entry to the deck was a total rip off. It wasn't as tall as I thought it would be, in comparison to Rialto Towers. The tower just happened to be sitting on a hill 800m above ground level and we took the lift that traveled less than 100m up. Sight wasn't all that great (Wollongong lookout is way better!) plus we weren't allowed to go the the highest deck.


Telstra Tower



Canberra at a glance


Fifth Stop: Embassy


The Malaysian High Commission - notice the pathetic looking red signboard at the entrance



China embassy building wins hands down! This picture can definitely pass for us being in China


Sixth Stop: Parliament House
By now, I was exhausted getting in and out of my friend's two-door car. Lesson learnt: Get a bigger car! Thank goodness this was our last stop.


We were late for our appointment with John Howard



Senate Chamber



The old Parliment House

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home