Intengible

Just a glance

Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Best Friend

I received a label last night over my head after an msn chat.

I enjoy being a sponge, but I haven't really allowed many people to be a sponge for me.

What is a best friend?

Apparently everyone should have a best friend. But how come I hear of people having a few best friends? I know someone at uni by name who is a best friend to at least two friends that I know personally! What then is this value of a "best friend"? It's confusing.

I remember back at primary school, I had 3 very good friends. Bizarre as it sounds, all of us have first names starting with "S". One Punjabi, one malay, and two chinese girls make up this circle of friendship. Halfway through primary three, an Indian girl was placed in our class and soon joined our clan. And her name started with "S" too. We had a lot of fun together, until a few of us got promoted to class monitors, then later prefects. Others remained class monitors, even through high school.

I have never considered anyone of them to be my best friend. Sure, they were my very close friends. But how much I knew about their personal life I can't be sure. We talked about boys, laughed when anyone of us received a gift from a male, and copied each other's homework. Okay, that was me when I was in a desperate situation. Attending tuition class every single freaking weekday during that time was torture. I blame that for homework incompletion and sleep deprivation. But then again, I shouldn't complain since I aced my high school grades. Well, I could have done it with my own strength. The tuition teacher was only reinforcing what I already knew. Smart ass me. *Ouch!*My inner self just kicked me for being arrogant. Alright, I'll keep those thoughts to myself. They can be edifying sometimes, you know.

Back to the topic of "Best Friend". I never had one, and probably never will. Considering I don't open myself too much to other people, other than being talkative about things not relating to personal life, I'm happy not having a best friend. If he or she comes along, then I'll be the luckiest person on earth. Someone you can share very personal things, cry in front of, and whine for no good reason. A boyfriend or husband shouldn't be that best friend. Alright, I see imaginary bedroom slippers being thrown at me right now but hey, how nice to have a girl friend or guy friend know your other secrets and give you extra aid to life's messy journey?

I do make a good sponge. If any of you need a listening ear, I'm here.

3 Comments:

  • At 6:39 AM, Blogger Terence said…

    How about God?

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger teng said…

    Good point. But I was referring more to earthly friends.

     
  • At 7:10 AM, Blogger Terence said…

    But each of us as a part of God 'in-built' in us. So God is also considered a earthly friend. Well Jesus did get born as a man to die for our sins.

    Merry Christmas

     

Post a Comment

<< Home