Intengible

Just a glance

Saturday, January 29, 2005

Many things have happened since my last entry. Geez don't even know where to start and how to update you guys. It's hard when you don't have internet yet. Let's see if this is the easy way out...

Monday 24th Jan
First day of work. Fresh and excited. Am very surprised and pleased to see so many new graduates recuited this year. Some have already started in December and have come to join us in the graduate induction this morning. Over the years, BlueScope Steel (BSS) has recruited cadets and apprentices, but not many graduates. This year, the grad recruitment soared as high as 40, the biggest they ever had since 1994. Went through a info-loading 3 hour session. Seriously, my tiny brain can only take that much info. What I CAN remember is safety - Number one priority - otherwise KABOOM. Yeah don't play play...ppl get burnt, fall off the stairs, slipped into the furnace, engulfed by hot 2300 degrees lava-like steel-in-the-making, knocked by the forklift... I'm not joking...these accidents did happen.

Tuesday 25th Jan
My boss gave me some manuals to read. Have to learn how to use and program using Citech Software which my department uses for control and automation of machines. Apparently very easy to learn but I'm so dumb I haven't figured it out till now. I totally blame it on myself due to lack of concentration, which was due to lack of sleep, which in turn was due to watching the Australian Open tennis till late at night. Geez not my fault lah, the quarterfinal games went into 5 sets and neither player could wrap it up early in the game!

Wednesday 26th Jan
Public Holiday! Yippee! Loads of ppl flocked the Wollongong Harbour and the beach. There were events, activites, aquathlon, food stalls, souvenirs, sand castle making competition, etc. Went down in the evening to enjoy the jazz orchestra, watch fire-twirling men before finally the fireworks. I kept my expectations low so as not to get disappointed...you know, we just saw Melbourne's spectacular New Year's Day blast in the sky. But boy, was I wrong! The fireworks in Gong was just as awesome, if not better...at least they had music to accompany it...and the engineers timed the display and sound of the firworks to the music. How cool is that!

Thursday 27th Jan
Back to work. My typical day starts 7.30am - 4pm. Had another departmental induction for 3 hours, had a site tour of the machines under our supervision, and continued reading manuals. I was getting really bored. I just don't like reading.

Friday 28th Jan
Had a plant tour this morning. This tour is the tour visitors to the Port Kembla Steelworks would experience as well. So if you are going to visit Gong, don't miss this tour. Saw all those huge machines at work, witnessed a Mt Edna-like volcanoe in action, hot strips of steel being rolled and cooled down, and how these old equipment can still cause problems during production. There are actually many of these big equipment as old as 30-50 years old. Man, if anything goes wrong, it's really costly to repair coz the parts for them are not even available now. And the weather was just extremely killer-hot today.

My boss waited for me to finish the tour. We then headed to the city for lunch to meet a female colleague before she goes into labour. Looks like I'll be the only female now in the department. I requested to have half day off today. Went to sign the lease at 4pm and was told I was too late to connect electricity to my unit. I was really annoyed because I specifically called the day before and asked about this issue. I feel like strangling the receptionist who misinformed me. I am as of now till Monday morning without electricity, and without my furniture. Too much frustration today to really type it all down. Bottomline, got off work at 2pm, sign lease at 4pm, took a cab to move my luggage to the unit, heaving up my super heavy luggage up 2 flight of stairs, took another cab to the pet shop to buy urgent essentials, and took another cab home ( Hah, I can call it home now). The time clocked was 7pm.

But I was really happy today despite almost everything going wrong. Chloe is allowed to reside in my unit. I was having problems here as Body Corporate Wollongong strictly do not allow pets. I was on the verge of sneaking her in. And I did just that on Friday morning when she arrived. I did feel guilty coz if I got found out, I'll be in deep trouble, I think. So I tried to bring this matter subtlely to the agent as I was about to put the pen to the paper. And she went 'Hey what I don't know won't hurt you!'. And I beamed from cheek to cheek. =)

Thank God I have new-found friends who are just so willing to help me. Every morning I get a ride to work and back. Yesterday I bunked over at a friend's place who's still in the serviced apartment I was previously in...pity me mar, no electricity. Some have offered to take me fridge-shopping.

I really need a car.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home