Intengible

Just a glance

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Woof!

CNY celebrations are somewhat quieter this year. With grandma's passing just over a year ago, no one in this side of dad's family prepares home-cooked reunion dinners anymore. A simple reunion dinner at a nearby restaurant wrapped up our chinese new year's eve dinner.

Time has passed incredibly fast this week. It's already mid week and the fourth day of the new year. I had just returned from our yearly pilgrimage to Ipoh of which I had so conveniently missed in the last three years. Gone were the days where I enjoyed going there, arguing who has the right to ride the bicycle, hearing the sounds of mahjong tiles, and playing cards with my cousins, with starting bets as low as twenty cents. We were young, innocent and playful. We could speak gibberish and do kids' talk then, but now my cousins and I have nothing much to talk about. Language separates us from even the simplest of conversations. The only sentences that came out from my mouth were 'Gong Hey Fatt Choi' and that was the end of it. I must admit my Cantonese-speaking abilities have seriously gone down the drains and being embarassed of wrong pronounciations, I'd rather be quiet.

At least grandma (mum's side) has not lost touch with food, and she religiously cooks up ten-course meals with ease, both for lunches and dinners. She's one hell of an amazing woman, I tell ya. We get heavy meals every time we are here. Even morning breakfasts are not spared, with dimsums and ipoh hor funs on the list. Yum. But I must say that the Hong Kong style dimsums in Australia are far better in quality and taste.

Oh yah, my dog bit me yesterday. He's not like any other dogs that love to play catch with you and return the stick at your feet, hinting that you should throw it again. No no, this dog catches and keeps the ball to itself, his habit of which I was well aware of but stupidly tried to snatch his paper ball away. Thankfully my punishment was just a small puncture wound on my left hand. No bleeding whatsoever, just a deep hole.

What a great way to start the year of the dog, huh?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home