Intengible

Just a glance

Friday, June 23, 2006

Good enough

The alarm for 5am rang but was quickly muted. Opening my eyes, I let out a quiet groan. The mind and the body was in serious battle with conflicting intentions. I don't quite recall what happened after that, but I was almost certain I heard the neighbour's television and a subtle roar some time later. Quickly nudging my friend who had bunked over, we dragged our bodies and the doona into the living room only to be greeted in horror with the scoreline of one nil, Australia trailing! An extra five minutes of winks had cost us dearly.

Thankfully, a penalty was awarded before the end of the break. Penalties are the things Viduka misses, and I was sure glad that Moore stepped up to it instead - and he did not disappoint. I later found out that Viduka's sloppiness in the first minute of the game was the main cause that conceded that foolish but amazing freekick to the Croats. The Australian captain has not captured my fancy, and probably never will, for he is unable to dribble the ball for more than five feet before wrongfooting himself, let alone net in a goal. I certainly hope his presence in the starting eleven provides a pillar of strength and confidence to the boys instead, and not the one to look for to deliver the goals in times of desperation.

My excitement was shortlived the moment Croatia tucked in a harmless looking shot soon after the restart and regained the lead. I just could not believe my eyes. Just minutes before, I was re-enacting to my housemate, who had just woken up during the break, how the nervous Kalac had earlier missed catching the waist-high ball in his hand, and missing it again at its rebound. He has my eternal pity, because it is a moment Kalac will find difficult to forget, and probably never forgive himself if Kewell had not found the late equaliser that has placed Australia in the last sixteen. Italy awaits us on Tuesday 1am AEST.

Oh, and have I mentioned Josip Skoko is my Croatian friend's cousin, and that one of our best defender, Lucas Neill is a Wollongong boy? :)

2 Comments:

  • At 5:26 AM, Blogger teabag said…

    sister siewteng!!

    Skoko is your friend's cousin! WAH! haha. Glad to see you are enjoying the worldcup like i am! come to melbourne soon okay! (:

     
  • At 12:16 AM, Blogger teng said…

    Go the socceroos!!! Yeehar

     

Post a Comment

<< Home