Intengible

Just a glance

Sunday, August 27, 2006

And finally, my first NRL game

A ticket to the footy game is not cheap. If there is a group of four, my friends were scheming to get away with family passes - as if we can pretend to look like parents with kids in their teens. But a few hours before the game started, I found out that we got free tickets! Hoorah!

Imagine not knowing what a try or a scrum is after all these years living in Australia. It's quite pathetic, I know, but you can't blame me for being plain ignorant. Rugby isn't a popular sport in Victoria and I only started picking up these jargons from watching the annual State of Origin game between the Blues and the Maroons since moving to NSW. So that makes TWO footy games that I've watched on telly, and I can't be sure if I even had my bum on the couch for the full game. Probably not.

The view of WIN stadium from the hillside


But it was an insane first live footy game ever for me. It was pouring cats and dogs just five minutes before the game was due to kick off. Thankfully, I had an umbrella but you can't quite keep dry when you are sharing space under one shelter. And then, there was the wear-the-wrong-type-of-shoes-because-you-want-to-look-good syndrome. What was I thinking! To make matters worse, the free standing area was on a hillside. Great! Just the perfect landscape for toe blisters. And then, there was the never-have-enough-clothes-on-to-keep-warm dilemma. On my way to the stadium, I overheard the dee jay reminding people to bring their doonas. I was confused, but found out soon enough why.

But it was all worth it to finally watch a rugby game and madly yelling out in support of the Dragons, whose existence was only known to me the day before. And the fact that they had five straight losses and one win over the past six weeks isn't very encouraging. Everyone wants to support a winning team, and the Dragons did not let me down (18-4 win against the Sharks), save for a ruffle in the second half where one player from each team was sent off. The crowd was just screaming "OUT! OUT! OUT!" the whole time, obviously unhappy with the error-riddled game in the rain.

Well, one of my To-Do list is now striked out. Need to see if I can hunt a free entry to an AFL game.

It was my American friend's first footy game too!

6 Comments:

  • At 4:50 AM, Blogger sthyan said…

    I'm going for a footy game on soon! it'll be my first and we got free tickets coz this game is between my uni, UTEP vs. Texas Tech..lol! So they want us to go and support also lar...I can't wait to go for it!

     
  • At 10:34 PM, Blogger teng said…

    eh so cool! actually more fun watching it LIVE!

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Blogger sthyan said…

    well, i had a not-so-good experience watching a baseball game...BORING!!! i jsut endud up chating most of the time with my aunt. Oh, and the only thing i could remember from that game was the fireworks display at the end! lol!

     
  • At 10:22 PM, Blogger teng said…

    haha...at least there were fireworks to an otherwise whole boring night

     
  • At 12:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't know much about rugby... but isn't Melbourne on top of the ladder? :p It's a pity not many people care bout rugby here...

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger teng said…

    i dont even know which is the top team. but it's a pretty popular sport here in nsw

     

Post a Comment

<< Home