Intengible

Just a glance

Thursday, May 05, 2005

First Commissioning

Remember the crane job I did a couple of weeks ago? Yup, so it's time for its full commissioning. And remember the reflectors that were knocked over by the crane? Yup, this time we just stuck a piece of reflecting material complete with adhesives. I wonder why we didn't think of that earlier.

This time, I wasn't feeling so eeeky&yucky all over as I walked across the crane and up and down, bending my body whenever I can to avoid getting knocked on the head. Though my helmet was my only form of protection, it wasn't a good feeling anyway. Expectations have been materialised and I confidently placed my hands on the ladders and stepped my feet on dirt-filled structures and over protruding beams. I've probably strained my throat a little too, yelling my guts out to the design engineer who was taking the crane-hook-over-the-coils measurements at ground level. At times, I can feel the crane shake and rattle when the other cranes opearting next to us passed by.

I probably should have known, as a qualified Electrical Engineer (yeah right!) about circuit breakers, isolating switches, cable bellings, et cetera but that's all in theory. The practical experience I had commissioning this job was invaluable. Now I would probably be able to read the electrical designs and do similar testings, but when it comes to the design phase, I'm hopeless. Well, I guess everything's still a learning process for me, and my mum continues to ask if I thoroughly enjoy what I'm doing. I really don't know.

Next job at hand, figure out if either the laser or radar or CCD camera is the best option for an old sensor upgrade. I've spent most of my time on research, probably not a good investment for the company to pay me to sit in front of the computer and read unfamiliar terminologies. Time's running out for me to deliver a possible working solution but it's not going anywhere at the moment. Sigh.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home