Intengible

Just a glance

Friday, May 13, 2005

Mahjong

I can feel it coming. A headACHE, most likely from staring at the screen too long. I'm trying to capture the trend signals from the radar device that was recently installed and compare it to the current plate sensors that needs replacement soon. Unfortunately, the monitoring system refreshes itself at exactly 10:00:00 everyday, wiping out the plate signals. Grrr. And I'm getting neurotically annoyed. Grumpiness will soon set in when I'm caught offguarded during one of those moods.

But I look forward to leaving work at 4pm today, having done more than enough hours for this week itself. I'm already visualizing what we are going to lay on the dinner table tonight, with steamboat again winning hands down. And then, a game of mahjong and ginrammy would ease the stress off my shoulders and neck, and hoping that the apartment walls are solid enough to absorb the plack plack noise of the mahjong tiles, without disturbing the neighbours.

I remember ever so vividly being awake on my bed in my grandparents wooden house in Ipoh, many donkey years ago. An old well sat in the middle of the house, and at that time, it was still being used to draw water. The toilet was located outside the house, and I never liked to visit it at night because it was so dark that I thought I would fall into the hole and never come back. Many times I would knock my head on the base of the toilet flush tank. No wonder I suffer from memory loss.

My grandparents, aunties, uncles, and occasionally my dad, would play mahjong till the wee hours of the morning, "ponging" and "chi-ing". Other terms include "ka-long" and "sek-wu", terms that I picked up but never really knew what it meant. My bedroom would be the last room near the kitchen, and I'll try to stuff my ears into the pillow to try to get a wink. Mum didn't like my siblings and I to hang around the mahjong table coz my uncles smoked a lot. And my dad didn't like me sitting next to him either, coz I would whisper what those tiles he had meant, and eyes would start to twinkle and lips grinning, for I was giving dad's tiles away.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home